CHRONOBIOLOGY OF EPILEPSY: SEASONAL VARIATIONS IN BIRTH RATES
The aim was to study the seasonal birth rates of epileptic patients.
Materials and methods. Case reports of 6934 patients with epilepsy in three districts of Moscow and one medical center were analyzed. The distribution of patients according to the forms of epilepsy was conducted in agreement with the ILAE classification (2017): genetic generalized – 1475 (21.27%); structural focal – 3972 (57.28%) and unspecified – 1487 (21.45%).
Results. The minimal seasonal rate of birth of epileptic patients, regardless of the form of the disease, was in the autumn. The maximal rate of birth occurred in July: 18.4% more epileptic patients were born in summer than in autumn.
Conclusion. Considering the children born after pregnancy of normal duration, the autumn (October) is the least favorable season for conception as far as the chances of epilepsy in these children are concerned.
About the AuthorsO. M. Oleynikova
A. A. Savenkov
G. G. Avagyan
M. A. Bogomazova
G. N. Avakyan
1. Gurkas E., Serdaroglu A., Hirfanoglu T., Kartal A., Yilmaz U., Bilir E. Sleep-wake distribution and circadian patterns of epileptic seizures in children. Eur J Paediatril Neurol. 2016; 20 (4): 549-554.
2. Winawer M.R., Shin J., Beck E.S., Hammer J. E., Epstein M.P. Genetic Effects on sleep-wake distribution variation of seizures. Epilepsia. 2016; 57 (4): 557-562.
3. Procopio M., Mariott P.K., Davis R. J. Seasonality of birth in epilepsy: a Southern Hemisphere study. Seuzure. 2006; 15 (1): 17-21.
4. Avakyan G.N., Oleinikova O.M., Nerobkova L.N., Bogomazova M.A., Avakyan G.G., Lagutin Yu.V., Sarkisyan K.V. Epilepsiya i paroksizmal’nye sostoyaniya / Epilepsy and paroxysmal conditions (in Russian). 2013; 5 (4): 39-41.
5. Avakyan G.N., Blinov D.V., Lebedeva A.V., Burd S.G., Avakyan G.G. Epilepsiya i paroksizmal’nye sostoyaniya / Epilepsy and paroxysmal conditions (in Russian). 2017; 9 (1): 6-25. DOI: 10.17749/2077-8333.2017.9.1.006-025.
6. Quigg M., Fowler K.M., Herzog A.G. Circalunar and ultralunar periodicities in women with partial seizures. Epilepsia. 2008; 49 (6): 1081-1085.
7. Persinger M.A. Increased geomagnetic activity and the occurrence of bereavement hallucinations: evidence for melatoninmediated micro seizuring in the temporal lobe. Neurosci Lett. 1988; 88 (3): 271-274.
8. Locher W., Faedler M. The role of technical, biological and pharmacological factors in the laboratory evaluation of anticonvulsant drugs.VII Seasonal influences on anticonvulsant drug action in mouse models of generalized seizure. Epilepsy Res. 2002; 38 (2-3): 231-248.
9. Avakyan G.N., Oleinikova O.M., Lagutin Yu.V., Bogomazova M.A., Delger A.B. Seasonal variations in the content of prolonged forms of valproate in patients with generalized epilepsy. In the collection of theses “Man and medicine.” [Sezonnye kolebaniya soderzhaniya prolongirovannykh form val’proatov u bol’nykh s generalizovannoi epilepsiei. V sbornike tezisov «Chelovek i lekarstvo» (in Russian)]. 2009; 14-15.
10. Thvilum M., Brandt F., Brix T.H., Hegedus L Month of birth is associated with the subsequent diagnosis of autoimmune hypothyroidism. A nationwide Danish register-based study. Clin Endocrinol. 2017 jul 20; DOI: 10.1111/cen.13425.
11. Weinberg C.R., Shi M., Basso O., DeRoo L.A.,Harmon Q., Wilcox A. J. Skjaerven R/ Season of conception, smoking, and Preeclampsia in Norway. Envirjn Health. Perspect. 2017; 129 (6): 067022.
12. Sadovnic A.D., Duquette P et al. A timing of birth effect on multiple sclerosis:clinical phenotype. Neurology. 2007; 69 (1): 60-62.
13. Torrey E. F., Miller J., Rawlings R., Yolken R.H. Seasonal birth patterns of neurological disorders. Neuroepidemiology. 2000 Jul-Aug; 19 (4): 177-85.
14. Procopio M., Mariott P.K. Seasonality of birht in epilepsy: a Danish study. Acta Neurol Scand. 1998; 98 (5); 297-301.
15. Asadi-Pooya A.A., Nei M., Sperling M.R. Seasonality of birth in patients with temporal lobe epilepsy. Acta Neurol Scand. 2016: 134 (1): 87-89.
16. Krenz-Neidbata V., Puch E.A, Koscinski K. Season of birth and body size: potential role of prenatal vitamin D. Am J Hum Biol. 2011; 23 (2): 190-200.
17. Yu R.Q., Zhao X., Chen DZ., Liao XP., Zhou Q. Vitamin D levels at birth and influencing factor in preterm infants. Zhongoo Dang Dai ER Ke Za Zhi. 2017; 19 (7): 800-805.
18. Cagnacci A. Pansini E.S. Season of birth influencts the timing of menopause. Hum Report. 2005; 20 (8): 2190-3.
19. Si J.H., Meng R.R., Lui J., Guo Y., Bian Z et al. Association betweeen season of birth and age both atmenarche and at menopause. 2017.
For citation: Oleynikova O.M., Savenkov A.A., Avagyan G.G., Bogomazova M.A., Avakyan G.N. CHRONOBIOLOGY OF EPILEPSY: SEASONAL VARIATIONS IN BIRTH RATES. Epilepsia and paroxyzmal conditions. 2017;9(4):96-102. https://doi.org/10.17749/2077-8333.2017.9.4.096-102
- There are currently no refbacks.